As a freelancer and the New Year coming, now is the time for me to look over a few things, update things and see what needs to be changed. You have probably changed a few things throughout the year, have added a few things to what you do, and/or hopefully seen your business start to grow. If this is the case, this would be why you would want to check what you have in place.
What are some of the things to check and/or update:
- Tracking sheets – You need to have one for the 2013 year. Having a yearly tracking system will help you know what is going on for the year and to easily compare 2013 to earlier years and help you plan for 2014. These would be anything from your invoice tracking to your income/expenses sheet.
- Your goals – Review how you did with your goals. If you wrote what you did, what you accomplished or what you at least started on, you will be able to see what you need to change, how to change things and whatever else you may want to add to your goals.
- Clean up – It is the time to clean up your freelancing folders. Are there folders you need to move to a completed folder or to another place because they are clients you no longer work with, etc. There will be things you want to keep for your portfolio, etc, but you may not need everything visible as you may have ended contracts, etc.
- Follow up – This is the time to see who hasn’t paid you, who you need to follow-up with, etc.
- Start your list – Do you have a running to do list you need to update? Also, if you aren’t doing this, this would be the time to start that.
- Start new things – What new things do you need to start? Are there new templates you haven’t used before? Are there new clients to contact? Whether it is putting it on your list or actually setting dates to do it, you need to get started.
This has been a great reminder for me as well. There are several things I have done and gotten ready for the 2013 year and there are things I still need to get done. But now is the time to start thinking about them.
Make sure you write things as you think of them as well, this will keep you focused and from forgetting what it is you want to do and where you want to go.